[SOLVED]VMAP vs Rose

Here you can report the problems encountered when using a function relative to the variography:
- experimental variography (vario.calc, vario.grid, vmap.calc, ...)
- model fitting (model.auto)

[SOLVED]VMAP vs Rose

Postby Celeste » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:12 pm

My rose plot doesn't look like my VMAP plot. The only thing I can think of is that in my rose plot the 0 degree direction is pointed East and maybe on the VMAP plot its pointed North???? Can someone please verify? From what I have seen, my rose plot is correct.
Attachments
roseplot.JPG
Rose Plot
roseplot.JPG (25.71 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
vmap.JPG
VMAP
vmap.JPG (27.4 KiB) Viewed 2360 times
Celeste

Re: VMAP vs Rose

Postby Nicolas Desassis » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:19 am

Hi Celeste,

I don't know how ROSE plot actually works but if the longest lines indicate the directions for which the range of values is the largest then your Vmap is consistent with your ROSE plot since you have less variations in the NW-SE direction according to the Vmap.

I hope it was helpful.

Nicolas
Nicolas Desassis

Postby Celeste » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 pm

I always thought that when overlaid the rose plot and vmap would look the same. Should I rotate my axis on the rose plot? So they have the same orientation.
Celeste

Postby Celeste » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:00 pm

The rose plot works like this: the longer line means that it took longer to meet the reference value in the variogram so say the sill, in that direction it took longer which means it has less variability than the small line which it didn't take long at all....so its more continuous in the NE-SW direction....(less variability) and I assume the vmap says that its more continuous in the NW-SE direction...but maybe I shouldn't have 0 degrees pointing East?
Celeste

Postby Celeste » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:12 am

I figured it out, my rose plot was rotated 90 degrees :) Thanks for all the help.
Celeste

Return to Variography