RGeostats merge plots

Here you can report the problems encountered with the graphical functions (db.plot, vario.plot, ...)

RGeostats merge plots

Postby Kriegeage_ecologie » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:09 pm

Hello! I am currently working in the field of ecology and I am aiming at kringing the value of different metallic contaminant with the RGeostats package.

The interpolation functions work well but I have encountered some issues with the graphical representations. Ideally, I would like to merge all my plots into one using the par function of the graphics package, which usually works with base R plot.

In my code, "df" is a dataframe containing the coordinates of my points (attributes "X" and "Y") and the value of Aluminium (attribute "Al") and Zinc (attribute "Zn") contaminants measured at each location.

Code: Select all
```{r, figures-side, fig.show = "hold", out.width = "50%"}
dbAl <- db.create(x1 = as.numeric(df$X),
                 x2 = as.numeric(df$Y),
                 z1 = df$Al,
                 flag.grid = FALSE)

dbZn <- db.create(x1 = as.numeric(df$X),
                 x2 = as.numeric(df$Y),
                 z1 = df$Zn,
                 flag.grid = FALSE)

par(mfrow = c(1, 2))

db.plot(dbAl, title = "Al")
db.plot(dbZn, title = "Zn")
```

When I run this code, the two plots are plotted as two separate graphs and the code returns the error (here, in french):

la valeur de 'nc' dans "mfg" est mauvaise et sera ignorée

(meaning "the value of 'nc' in "mfg" is wrong and will be ignored", once translated in English)

So I gather that R has some issue with me trying to set nc =2 in my call of par, especially since the error is not longer raised when I modyfy my code to:

```{r, figures-side, fig.show = "hold", out.width = "50%"}
par(mfrow = c(1, 1))
db.plot(dbAl, title = "Al")
db.plot(dbZn, title = "Zn")
```

(which still print the plots as two separate graphes.)

The setting of the chunk allows the output in the knitted file to show the two graphs side-by-side, which is a way to get around the problem if no other solution exist, and was inspired by the answer to a previous question at:
http://rgeostats.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=505

But, if possible, I would really like to be able to direcly edit a single graph in which all my plot are combined.

I am very grateful for any attention you might give this question.
Kriegeage_ecologie

Re: RGeostats merge plots

Postby Didier Renard » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 am

This should be able by using the 'add' argument.
However, please note that merging two graphic representations of a grid using "raster" option does not provide a good answer... as the raster representation covers the whole area and the last statement will cover the first one.
Didier Renard

Return to Graphical representation