1D Kriging

Here you can suggest new features to be added to RGeostats package.

1D Kriging

Postby Jeffrey Yarus » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Kriging along a well bore trajectory (could be vertical, directional, or horizontal).

The idea is to estimate the value along a well bore for a given log where there are missing values. Missing values could be "random" or in sequences (intervals). The question is, how well does Kriging work in 1D where there are missing values.

I discussed this problem with Didier and wanted to put in the forum. I'm hoping Didier can cook up an example.

===================
I would like to do a 1-D kriging of a well log that has missing data to see how accurately the missing values can be imputed. Missing values can occur randomly, or in full intervals or blocks . Imagine also, a number of wells in a petroleum field. All the wells have various missing values in various logs. Normally, we could produce a 3D volume kriging estimate to fill the missing values.

However, if the wells are sparsely distributed and few in number, Kriging in 3D may not perform well (think a field of only 3 or 4 wells a kilometer apart, for example). Kriging down the borehole could be useful to solve the missing value problem, but it still won't solve the interpolation problem between the wells. In the case I am describing, I am only interested in kriging along the well path and not between the wells. Didier and I discussed this in an email. I'm looking for a workflow that would perform kriging or conditional simulation down a borehole for given well log that may have missing values....

Thanks, Jeffrey Yarus
Jeffrey Yarus

Return to Global suggestions